The NGFA continues to partner with Affiliated State/Regional Associations to cosponsor, staff and promote a series of one-day Regional Safety and Regulatory Compliance Seminars.
The courses highlight industry practices that foster the safety and health of employees working in grain-handling, processing, feed and export facilities. Since 2012, nearly 2,000 grain, feed and grain processing professionals have been trained through these efforts. Through the NGFA- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Alliance, representatives from the agency and their consultation program also now participate at each event.
The National Grain and Feed Foundation provides financial support for the seminars by funding the travel for NGFA staff who serve as faculty members during the events. In 2019, the seminars will continue to include policy updates on OSHA, Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Food and Drug Administration issues affecting the grain, feed and processing industry. However, this year’s seminars will heavily focus on OSHA’s Walking Working Surfaces standard, which includes many new requirements for grain handling facilities effective early this year. The seminars will provide an opportunity to highlight the material in the NGFA Walking Working Surfaces Guidance Document.
In 2019, the NGFA is partnering with the following affiliates to conduct these seminars:
- Kansas Grain and Feed Association, Jan. 15 in Manhattan, Kan.
- Nebraska Grain and Feed Association, Feb. 7 in Kearney, Neb.
- Texas Grain and Feed Association, Feb. 14 in Amarillo, Texas
- North Dakota Grain Dealers Association and the Minnesota Grain and Feed Association, March 27 in Fargo, N.D.; and
- Pacific Northwest Grain and Feed Association, April 25 in Spokane, Wash.