By Todd Kemp, Senior Vice President, Treasurer
Each year at the NGFA’s annual convention in March, members who have sponsored a new-member company during the previous year are recognized for their efforts. On March 10 in Austin, Texas, major winners included:
- Joe Kapraun, GROWMARK Inc., Bloomington, Ill.: Joe was first prize winner in the individual competition by virtue of co-sponsoring the new membership of New Vision Cooperative and also sponsoring Agriland FS. For his efforts, Joe will receive quarterly shipments from Omaha Steaks for the coming year!
- Dennis Inman, Central Farm Service, Truman, Minn.: Dennis finished in a virtual dead heat with Joe by serving as the other co-sponsor of New Vision Cooperative. Dennis also will receive Omaha Steaks shipments in the coming year.
- Diana Klemme, Grain Service Corp., Atlanta, Ga.: Diana sponsored the new membership of Quality Roasting Inc. to claim third prize. Diana will receive quarterly shipments from the Pizza of the Month Club!
- GROWMARK Inc., Bloomington, Ill.: Led by Joe Kapraun’s efforts, GROWMARK compiled the most total membership points in the company competition and was awarded the solid bronze statue of Ceres, Goddess of the Harvest. Ceres will reside in GROWMARK’s offices for the coming year after having the spent the last year with Grain Craft in Chattanooga, Tenn.
In addition, random drawings for which all membership recruiters are eligible are conducted annually for the following cash prizes. This year’s winners were:
- Nootbaar Prize: This $1,000 cash prize is funded by an endowment established by former NGFA President Herb Nootbaar. This year’s winner was Brent Hansen, Sukup Manufacturing Co., Sheffield, Iowa.
- Grain Service Corp./Indigo Ag prizes: Three additional random drawings for cash prizes were co-sponsored by Grain Service Corp. and Indigo Ag. Winners were: Adam Thomas, SEMO Milling, Scott City, Mo. — $750 cash prize; Dan Braun, Bushel, Fargo, N.D. — $500 cash prize; George Gurganus, Attebury Grain LLC, Saginaw, Texas — $250 prize