NGFA’s annual convention features top policy makers, substantive open forums and outstanding general sessions that explore the most important issues facing the industry in the year ahead. It also provides an ideal opportunity to interact and exchange ideas with industry leaders. As in past years, the year’s conference will feature a golf tournament, committee meeting, a new member reception, panels on topical issues, and a closing gala. For more information on convention programming, see presentations from past conventions.
2014 ANNUAL CONVENTION
Hilton Head, S.C.
The 118th annual convention in Hilton Head, S.C., was keynoted by the Hon. Bob Gibbs, R-Ohio, and featured addresses from the CME Group, CFTC, USDA and more. Below are the presentations available; several speakers did not use presentations. See the convention program, the attendee list or event photos for additional information.
Transportation Open Forum
- John (Jack) Hellmann, President & CEO, Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
- Mike Toohey, President & CEO, Waterways Council Inc.
- John Miller, Vice President, Agricultural Products, BNSF Railway (Presentation available by request only.)
- “Biotechnology: Accommodating Innovation While Preserving Markets” – Howard Minigh, President and Chief Executive Officer, CropLife International
- “Regulatory Overreach – What Can Be Done?” – Marc Freedman, Executive Director, Labor Immigration and Employee Benefits, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Dealing with Increasing Food Demand and Food Security, Dave Hoogmoed, Chief Operating Officer of Purina Animal Nutrition & Feed and Executive Vice President at Land O Lakes Inc., and President of Purina Mills, LLC.
“Sustainability and Consumer Preferences – What the Future May Hold”
2013 ANNUAL CONVENTION
San Francisco, Calif.
The 117th annual convention in San Francisco, featured presentations by the Honorable Jim Costa, D-Calif, Darci Vetter, deputy undersecretary of agriculture for farm and foreign agricultural services, as well as forums on transportation and food safety. See the convention program, the schedule or the final attendee list for additional information.
- Industry Outlook - Chris Policenski, President and Chief Executive Officer Land O’Lakes Inc., Shoreview, Minn.
- Consumer Attitudes on Food and Feed — Messaging that Matters - Charlie Arnot, Chief Executive Officer Center for Food Integrity, Kansas City, Mo.
- One Industry – United - Dave Hoogmoed, Chairman National Grain and Feed Association Executive Vice President, Land O’Lakes Inc. and Chief Operating Officer, Purina Feed LLC Shoreview, Minn.
- Agricultural Biotechnology — Future Innovations and Approaches for Addressing Marketability Issues - Cathy Enright, Executive Vice President Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO), Washington, D.C.
Open Forum on Impacts of FDA-Proposed Food/Feed Safety Regulations on Grain Elevators, Feed Mills
- FSMA: Update on Preventive Control Rule - Dr. Dan McChesney, Director Office of Surveillance and Compliance Center for Veterinary Medicine Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, Md.
- Food Safety Modernization Act — Impacts on the Grain and Feed Industry - David Fairfield, Vice President of Feed Services National Grain and Feed Association, Atlantic, Iowa
Transportation Open Forum
- Rails Beyond Coal — The Dawning of the Domestic Intermodal Age & the Impacts of New Energy - Tony Hatch, Principal ABH Consulting, New York, N.Y.
- Freight Rail Investment — Current and Future Prospects - Mike Steenhoek, Executive Director Soy Transportation Coalition, Ankeny, Iowa
- Guaranteeing U.S. Competitiveness - Rick Calhoun Senior Vice President, Grain and Oilseed Supply Chain President, Cargo Carriers Cargill Inc., Minneapolis, Minn.
2012 ANNUAL CONVENTION
The 116th annual convention in Charleston, S.C. touched upon the implosion of MF Global, had forums on rail transportation and the Food Safety Modernization Act. In addition, speakers represented the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Bunge, CoBank and other organizations. See the convention program or the schedule for additional information. A final list of conference attendees is also available.
- Giving Our Customer a Competitive Advantage – John Koraleski, Acting President and Chief Executive Officer, Union Pacific Railroad, Omaha, Neb.
- Economic Outlook for 2012 – Terry Barr, Director, Knowledge Exchange Group CoBank, Denver, Colo.
- Regulatory Overreach — Meeting the Challenge! – March Freedman, Executive Director, Labor Law Policy U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Washington, D.C.
- Growth and Demand in Global Trade – Soren W. Schroder President and Chief Executive Officer, Bunge North America Inc., St. Louis, Mo.
- The Best in the Business — Meeting the Challenge! – Hal Reed, President, Grain and Ethanol Group, The Andersons Inc., Maumee, Ohio
- Mitigating Safety and Health Risks in 2012 — A Management Perspective – Eric Conn, Head of OSHA Practice, Epstein Becker Green, Washington, D.C.
Workshop on Complying with Food Safety Modernization Act
- Impacts on the Grain and Feed Industry – David Fairfield, Director of Feed Services National Grain and Feed Association, Atlantic, Iowa
- HACCP Overview – Matt Frederking, Director Regulatory Affairs ad Operations ARalco Nutrition Inc., Marshall, Minn.
MF Global Town Hall
- Update on the Bankruptcy & Liquidation of MF Global Inc. – George Angelich Arent Fox LLP, New York, N.Y.
- MF Global and Risk Management: A Lender’s Perspective – Lori O’Flaherty CoBank, Denver, Colo.
Rail Open Forum
- Impact of Increased Gas and Crude Oil Production on Rail Demand – Lynn Hiser , Vice President, Logistics Fairmount Minerals, Wedron, Ill. – Paul F. Titterton , CFA Vice President and Group Executive Fleet Management, Marketing and Government Affairs GATX Corporation, Chicago, Ill.
- Food Safety Modernization Act — Food Safety Impact on Rail Transportation - David Fairfield, Director of Feed Services National Grain and Feed Association, Atlantic, Iowa – Dan Mack, Vice President Transportation and Terminal Operations CHS Inc., St. Paul, Minn.
2011 ANNUAL CONVENTION
San Diego, Calif.
The 115th annual convention in San Diego, Calif., featured open forums on financing and capital availability and rail transportation. Additional presentations focused on global agriculture, regulatory issues and the future of agriculture. See the convention program or the schedule for additional information. A final list of conference attendees is also available.
- U.S. Agriculture — Making the Difference! Hal Reed, The Anderson Inc.
- Looking for Delta — Tectonic Shifts in Global Agriculture David C. Nelson, Rabobank International
- Finding the New Center of Gravity for Agriculture Policy Greg Page, Cargill Inc.
- Forecasting Farmer’s Next 40 Years Dennis Avery, Hudson Institute
- OSHA — The New Risk Facto for Grain, Feed and Processing Facility Managers Melissa Bailey, Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart P.C.
Open Forum on Financing and Capital Availability for 2011
- Doug Stark, Farm Credit Services of America
- Bob Egerton, CoBank
- Elizabeth Hund, USBank
- Michael Stewart, Faegre & Benson LLP
Rail Open Forum
- Rail Transportation — Outlook and Policy Matt Rose, BNSF Railway
- Positive Train Control Technology — Implementation and Cost Issues John T. Gray, II, Association of American Railroads
- Perspectives on Private Railcars J. Michael Keasling, CIT Rail
- Upcoming Events
NGFA-Grain Journal Safety Conference
The NG …
Safety, Health and Environmental Quality Committee Meeting
Board of Directors Meeting
Feed/Pet Food Joint Conference
43th Annual Country Elevator Conference and Tradeshow
NGFA – Grain Journal Elevator Design Conference
Board of Directors Meeting
44th Annual Country Elevator Conference and Tradeshow
45th Annual Country Elevator Conference and Tradeshow